faq sponsors prices bows contact about home Image Map

Monday, May 18, 2015

Top 5 Things NOT to say to a Bow Maker...

I am a bow maker.
And I've been getting a lot of this lately.
And it seriously bugs me.



Disclaimer – all ideas are my own. Sense the sarcasm and laugh. (I’m not a grammar junkie so please keep your lame “you spelled that wrong’ comments to yourself)

It’s always market season for makers. If you’re a shopper not a maker this is for you! If you’re a wannabe maker shopping for ideas – reevaluate your life. If you’re a maker you need to share this to all your shoppers so they can have market etiquette!

If I like you - I'll tell you all my secrets. If I don't - use your very best judgment. Chances are your best judgment walked away the moment you asked the questions all makers can’t stand... "Where do you get your supplies?" or “How do you do this?”

What you’re really asking us is ("I need to know every detail about how this product was created so I can go home and recreate it because I'm not paying what you’re charging because I think it’s too much. I really have no idea you spent $359 in supplies and if I just bought the product for $15 I would really be saving $344.")

If your intentions are to recreate what I do with the intent to sale plan on a vague, general "hit the road" response. We're not friends. The End. 

Let’s get started.

#1. "How do you make these?"

Really??? Like I am going to tell you! Sometimes in my mind I’m thinking (even if I did tell you, you would never be able to figure this out.) or Remember if I like you I’ll tell you. It might take an hour so grab a soda and a bag of popcorn. But really your attention span won’t last that long. I think I lost you already….



#2. "Where do you buy your supplies to make your product?"

I do not buy my product at the local craft stores. Mostly because I live out in the middle of nowhere and I have two toddlers and I can’t focus even grocery shopping let alone shop for supplies with a brain.  Take a breath. The closest craft store is an hour away and by the time I run important errands and hit the appointments there is no time for browsing craft stores with tired, hungry, ADORABLE little monsters! Soooo most of my product is purchased online using wholesale accounts I set up myself with that special number you have when you create a business where I can’t just purchase $10 in supplies, they have minimums of $50-$100 orders. It takes planning and time and late night hours of silent focusing to get what I need to make what I make.



#3. "My daughter won’t wear bows."

I am not sorry and I seriously don’t care. If you want your daughter to wear a bow figure it out and make her. My daughter did. I wanted her to wear a bow so I made it a priority. If it’s not yours that’s great, I can’t help you. I used “techniques” to keep her bow in. She didn’t have any hair for the first 2 years of her life so her headbands were what separated her from the baby boys. Haha. Yes she pulled it off everywhere we went. During that stage I glued minis on her head and they didn’t come off for days! I know I’m a horrible momma! If you really want your child to wear a bow - make a valiant effort. I know it’s hard. Figure it out. Really if you’re not going to buy a bow refer to #5 and the “things to say” and move along.



#4. "I can buy them cheaper at ______."

Fill in the blank..... No judging here. haha. Chances are YOU CAN! And you go right ahead! Their product is factory made in China and the quality is "fall apart, cheaply made". You want cheap please buy cheap. My product is handmade in Southern Idaho by me (with lots of good smellin' love. wink wink). I take pride in my bows just like any bow maker does and I hope that everyone that buys a Summer Sariah Barbecue Bow loves it just as much as I do. I have machine washed a few and yes they can stand up to the pressure although it isn't advised. I do send replacements (for free) if a bow is damaged due to my manufacturing. I would like to think they had a lifetime warranty. Let’s stay focused. Moving on. Lastly…





#5. "Can I take a picture?"

Instead maybe take a mental picture. This is when us as makers want to punch you in the face. Be advised this is rude. This is copying and if you’re creativity pool has dried up there is always pinterest.

If you’re going to take a picture no matter what - take a selfie with the product behind you or better yet buy one and then go home and recreate it. Trust me I take pictures too. I’m not all unicorns and rainbows all the time either, But I’m not going to go home and recreate it. I’ve learned the hard way it’s TOO HARD! My brain is overworked, I’m lacking in sleep and the last thing I want to do is waste my time making something I can buy right in front of me!

Things to say instead of the above statement -  

“You’re very talented.”
“These are beautiful.”
“I like your style.”


And then please move along….

No comments:

Post a Comment