faq sponsors prices bows contact about home Image Map

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Domesticity

Hello everyone! I am so excited to be a part of Summers awesome adventures and honored she thinks I am so talented. Because let me tell ya, she is crazy talented. You'll see.

As I gathered thoughts to begin writing posts, I honestly didn't know where to begin. After about a month of brainstorming, I'm choosing to focus my posts on home, family, crafting, and health. Good broad, general topics to get the ball rolling. I'm thinking I'll post about each topic once a month, and I'm sure each post will cross topics.

So today, let's talk about the home. I always wanted a family, and knew that was something to work toward. I just didn't know how fast it would come. I was married 7 months after graduating high school, and became a mother just two short years later. I quit school to raise my children and while society thinks me a clueless, empty-headed, talentless woman, it is very much the opposite. My husband has encouraged me in all my pursuits, and supported all my decisions.

Since becoming a mother and domestic manager I've hit quite a few road blocks. For starters, I really don't like to cook. As in, nearly despise with the depths of my soul. Nearly. When I find a simple but delicious recipe it not only becomes a staple in the rotation, I can't help but share with everyone I meet. So today, here is that recipe.

I came across this as a newly wed. It was actually in the packaging for the salmon and with a few tweaks, I think it's perfect.  I don't measure much, so these are just estimates. I add or decrease amounts depending on the size & weight of the fillet.

Brown Sugar and Garlic Salmon

1 salmon fillet
1/2-1 cup milk (depending on size of salmon)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder (or 2 tsp finely diced cloves)
1 tsp black pepper
couple pinches of salt

Preheat the oven to 425* F. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, leaving enough foil to make a cradle for the salmon. Place the salmon on the aluminum foil, make a cradle, and pour the milk over the salmon (the milk keeps it moist while cooking).

While the oven heats, mix together remaining ingredients in a bowl. Gently pat the surface of the salmon to absorb excess moisture. Sprinkle about 3/4 of the brown sugar mixture over the salmon. Wrap the excess aluminum foil around the sides & top of the salmon. If necessary, placed a second piece of foil over the top of the salmon cradle. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the  salmon is a light pink color & flakes easily with a fork.

Take off the top foil and sprinkle remaining brown sugar mixture over the salmon. Broil for 5-10 minutes until the sugar mixture is bubbling & slightly crisp. Serve with rice and a green veggie.

Tips:
- Use just enough milk to surround the salmon. Too much will leave it soggy.
- The sugar mixture is very easy to adjust. Add more sugar if your like it sweet, more pepper or garlic for a kick.
- The thickness if the salmon will determine baking time. Always test the thickest part of the salmon for done-ness.
- I usually buy my salmon on sale. I just check every time I go to the store.

There you have it! A simple recipe with side suggestions. I've been making this for 6 years and can almost make it in my sleep. Also, I'm sorry there are no pictures. We love this meal (I've even had my 2 yr old eat her whole serving) and usually devour it in minutes. I'll make sure to take pictures the next time!

Try it and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment